No Rain / Water Simulation

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum No Rain / Water Simulation

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  clifcox 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Curtis
    Participant

I’m not getting any rain simulation. Is it simply because of an old AMD video card (Radeon HD5700)? Topography draws great and is quite snappy.

Running with the switches -uhm -fpx -rer 20 100

Also, after the post-installation setup, pressing ‘1’ does nothing and pressing ‘2’ (mapped to drain) turns give me a solid blue image.

Please let me know if I can provide anything else for trouble shooting.

Thanks

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I haven’t tried running the AR Sandbox with any AMD graphics cards. AMD’s Linux support has historically been very poor, so I stopped using them.

Check that your GPU driver is correctly installed, and that you don’t get any warnings or error messages when starting the SARndbox application.

princespari
    Participant

I am also facing the same issue. But in my case after pressing both 1 and 2 happens nothing.

clifcox
    Participant

Greetings,

Today at our grand unavailing, we sometimes experienced this problem. I was told that it wouldn’t rain after sometime of many kids playing with it at once. Also it was suggested that after draining all the water out by holding down that USB button you couldn’t make rain.

I’m wondering if running it in the background has something to do with it? When our machine boots up it logs in automatically to user sandbox and then start the application from the Mate autostart list. This ends up calling a script with the command line options and also an ‘&’ which puts it in the background. I know that our build prints out a steady stream of “ran out of time…” messages. I wonder if eventually that will fill up some buffer and stop the application. I suppose I should have redirected that to a file.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 🙂

Clif

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

holding down that USB button

Do you have a USB button that pretends to be a keyboard, i.e., sends emulated key press / key release events, or do you have a USB button that implements a generic HID, like this one? The former are often buggy and may generate so many key press events if held down that it takes a while to clear them out of the OS input buffer. While the “drain” button stays continuously pressed, any rain will be canceled out.

clifcox
    Participant

Greetings Dr Kreylos,

Thanks for getting back to me. Though you should check my bug report that I sent to your support email address. It spells out one of these bugs very clearly. Though to answer your question, I told them I preferred your recommended HID keys, however, they decided to go with the Orby X-Keys controller. The good news is you can turn off auto repeat, and they then send just a key down event when pressed and a key up event when released. Please find my emails to support and look them over. 🙂

Thanks for a wonderful project,
    Clif

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.