Noobie with driver issue

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Noobie with driver issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jdonahue805
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m setting up my first sandbox. I bought a Lenovo Y520 computer that has a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4GB. I’ve been through all the possible posts I can find on how to get this driver to work, but don’t seem to be able to. Anyone else using this card? I’m running Mint 18.2. In Driver Manger the recommended driver to use doesn’t work. I’ve updated everything, so not sure what my next step should be. Also, I can’t seem to get the Lenovo to project through my HDMI. Again followed instructions but unable to get display to work. The projector works fine on my Macbook.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Joe

David
    Participant

Hey Joe,
    The Y520 is a laptop, mobile graphics cards have always been a bit difficult with Linux/Ar-Sandbox if i recall correctly.
    Here are a few ideas for you:
    obligatory first tip: reboot
    my next idea would be to try downloading the drivers from nvidias website, choose the mobile version! it is not necessarily the same as for the desktop 1050ti
    the issue might be that linux automatically chooses the intel gpu instead of the nvidia one, you can disable that (google for further info)
    last idea, it is highly unlikely but possible that the laptop itself is defective, try installing a windows 10 trial version to see if the issue persists in Windows
    i hope that helps, let me know if any of this or a completely different approach fixed it for you!
    greetings,
    David

jdonahue805
    Participant

Thanks David,
    If I were to return the Lenovo, do you have a suggestion for best computer to get that will work for the AR Sandbox?
    Regards,
    Joe

David
    Participant

Hello Joe,
    well, I can tell you the standard suggestion and that is

Processor(CPU) Intel Core i5 or Core i7
    Memory(RAM) Min. 2 GB
    Graphics processor(GPU) Current generation consumer level ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce
    Harddrive (HD) Min 20 GB

source

a fairly popular build around 800$ would be (link)
    CPU Intel Core i5 4690k
    RAM 8 GB
    GPU GeForce GTX 970
    HD 60 GB SSD

In all honesty though, our 10 year old desktop PC serves us well, only the gpu could use an upgrade, but with reduced water resolution the performance is acceptable. It has an intel core2 quad with an nvidia gtx8400 (i think).

I wrote a short paper on the technical aspects of the sandbox that i can send you if you give me your email. It would be great if you want to be my “beta tester” of sorts, I just can´t publish it yet because it still contains some personal info.

TLDR: For testing and occasional use any old high end or younger gaming pc will be okay, for a permanent installation look to spend closer to 1000$ if you want great water simulation performance.

greetings,
    David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.