Plans / Specifications for Sandbox and Projector & Kinect Mount

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Plans / Specifications for Sandbox and Projector & Kinect Mount

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Sinclair 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

efpatterson
    Participant

The Education Division at Patriots Point (USS Yorktown) is looking at building an AR Sandbox for use in its environmental program with campers and students in SC Schools. Are there any detailed plans for the construction of the mounting pole for the Kinect and projector. Also suggestions for construction of the sandbox would be helpful, we are planning on building a Plexiglas box with 7″ sides 30″x40″ that will be centered mounted on a table with 1″ tall edge that is 40″x50″ that is constructed to be stable even with students using AR Sandbox during class.

Thanks

Ernie Patterson

daparret
    Participant

Hi Ernie,
    Congratulations on getting started with this great project. As of right now, all details of building the box and “mast” have been left up to the user. Because it sounds like your base will be larger then the box itself, you may be required to have the system holding your projector and sensor freestanding (as in not directly connected to the sandbox). I have seen a few examples of these but I would guess they require more frequent calibration.
    I believe the most tricky part to this build is figuring out how and where to mount the projector and sensor. For our build, I used 1-1/2″ aluminum for the mast. I found that it was plenty strong, relatively attractive and easy to manipulate. Most importantly, the tube sizing made it compatible with Simpson construction ties and hangers (as you may use for building a deck for example).
    I will try to get some images up for your reference that will hopefully be of some help.

daparret
    Participant

Here are a few examples:
    1-1/2
    Mast close-up

efpatterson
    Participant

Thanks for the pictures. We have ordered the Kinect and Projector and are starting to build the sandbox.

Ernie Patterson

RickM
    Participant

Great pics – thanks!

I’m starting a build now – just sourcing hardware first.

Keep sharing – I’ll put the info to good use.

RodgerHoll
    Participant

Here are some snapshots of a sandbox I just finish building. 3D printer came in handy for the mounting brackets.
    Kinect Sensor Mount
    Kinect Sensor Mount

Sensor Tower Mount
    Kinect sensor mount

Sandbox Sensor and Projector
    Sandbox Sensor and Projector

Collier County Fair AR Sandbox
    Collier County Fair Sandbox

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  RodgerHoll.

Ryan Sinclair
    Participant

Hi. Nice work. How do you have that Unistrut attached to the sandbox?
    Also, do you have the 3d print files for those kinect mounts?
    I found this one:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31761
    but the unistrut side is what I’m looking for.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.