Projector height questions

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Projector height questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Davichnos
    Participant

I have just received a grant from my college to build an AR Sandbox. The college, of course, is trying to save money and wants me to buy the following projector:

This projector does seem to match all the requirements, but I was concerned by the throw ratio of 0.61. This would mean that the projector would be installed at about 24 inches above sand level instead of 40 inches with the Kinect. While looking at the past comments on this forum, I was not able to find a good answer if this throw ratio would work. My main concerns are that the projector will be in the way of the Kinect and perhaps the contour lines will not project correctly? Thank you for any information.

Davichnos
    Participant

Sorry, the website did not post. this is the projector: https://www.viewsonic.com/uk/products/projectors/PJD5353Ls.php

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I can’t recommend projectors with such a low throw ratio. The main issue is that even moderate topography in the sandbox will have surfaces that are at glancing angles to the projector, causing poor alignment and low brightness, or are even facing away from the projector, causing self-shadowing.

A 1.0 throw ratio is practical because it puts the projector at the same height as the Kinect camera, but ideally, the throw ratio should be as long as possible for best projection quality.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.