Projector lamp lifetime reduced?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Projector lamp lifetime reduced?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BrettMusgrave 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

vwing
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m planning out an AR Sandbox setup for a school, and the materials we’ll need. One issue I came across in my research is that projectors are typically designed to not be tilted more than 15 degrees vertically. If they’re pointing straight down, then it supposedly burns their lamps out much faster. Has anyone had this problem? How often are you all having to replace your lamps?

I know that one solution is to mount a mirror in front of the projector, but I’m hesitant to mount a mirror above the heads of schoolchildren in a seismically active location (we’re in California). Not that that’s any more dangerous than a projector and Kinect mounted above their heads, and of course everything’s going to be securely mounted; I’m just worried about the reception by the parents.

It seems like an easier sell if I can just mount the projector like it is in the example images, and as I’ve seen in other setups. If the warnings I’ve read in projector user manuals are overstatements of the problem, then that would make my life a lot easier.

Thank you,
    Vincent

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by  vwing.
    • This topic was modified 4 months ago by  vwing.

BrettMusgrave
    Participant

I don’t think pointing it down would affect lamp life. Not sure how it could. I might buy in to light engine/color wheel issues but even then I would assume that it being on it’s side would be an issue before pointing down would. Especially with newer models. It may very well be one of those things that have been in manuals so long that it is just a permanent thing even though it no longer applies. Similar to how most TV manuals still have a warning about “burn in” even though that it not possible with LCD technology.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.