Projector options?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Projector options?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  INTPTT 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

INTPTT
    Participant

Greetings all! We’ve been tasked with building an AR Sandbox for the Children’s Museum of Skagit County in WA (about an hour North of Seattle – if anyone is local and wants to help, we’re in Burlington, WA!)

We’re attempting to keep the cost down as the Children’s Museum doesn’t have a lot of funding. The recommended projector (BenQ MX620ST) is around $800 best I can find. I was hoping for an alternative… I’ve seen a number of XGA short-throw projectors in the range of $600-$630, such as the ViewSonic PJD6350 and the Optoma X305ST. It seems the main reason the BenQ is recommended is because it happens to match the field of view of the Kinect. Wouldn’t any properly zoomed XGA projector do the same, or am I missing something? I’m also concerned about lamp life/cost, so even looking into LED/mirror options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to search for this topic but didn’t have much luck. Thanks!

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The BenQ MX620ST has been discontinued, which is probably why it’s more expensive now. It used to be around USD 550. The new model is BenQ MX631ST, which currently (as of 10/07/2015) retails for USD 529 on newegg.com.

The reason we recommend BenQ projectors is that they have good image properties, and are among the least expensive short-throw projectors.

INTPTT
    Participant

Fantastic – I had looked at that exact model too. Oliver, thank you SO MUCH for your continued work on this. You’ve made countless people happy and shown you’re simply a good person. I’ll have pictures and documentation of our install when done.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.