Projector question

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Projector question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lawrie
    Participant

Hi,I am planning building a sandbox at the moment. I dont have the budget for the recommended projector, but have a promethean prm-35. This is a short throw projector and I have a couple of questions about its use. Firstly, when mounted at 1 metre the screen size eill be larger than 1mx75cm. Is this a problem or can this be cropped in calibration? Also, because this projector was designed for use with smartboards it would have had a standar mounting position, so it will need to be angle to get full coverage of the sand. However, I dont think the inbuilt keystone is powerful enough to make the screen fully squared. Does the software also allow for this? Thanks.

ajy00
    Participant

Hi

You can use the PRM-35 with no problems – I’ve been using one on our sandbox for three years… BUT you need to adjust the angle of the projector so that it is held tilted forwards about 25 degrees or so (that’s not exact!). If you use standard screws into the projector’s mounting holes to a support plate, that will work well. The config for the box layout and projector takes care of the sizing/scale. (Thanks as ever Oliver K!!)

Our version is designed to be very portable, so the mount plate is adjustable too – allows the angle to be refined and match up the image without needing to run the config programme each time the kit is set up.
    You can see the setup in some of these images River Wey Trust

Any problems give me a shout – mail link is on the website.
    Alistair

Lawrie
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, that is just the info I was looking for. I can see in the pictures what you mean about the leaning. I like your solutions to mounting the projector. I need to make mine partially dismantleable, as the door to my class is about 80cm wide, so will need to remove the bracket for the kinect and projector to get it out the room.

Will certainly reach out for help should I need it.

Thanks

Lawrie
    Participant

Another quick question, does the kinect sensor have to be central to the sandpit? So on a 75×100 be 50cm/33.5cm or have I got some play? Thanks

ajy00
    Participant

For best effect, yes. Otherwise the sensor point of view will be from an angle and the projection therefore would follow suit.
    That said, it is not an issue to be slightly off …

Lawrie
    Participant

Thanks. I am just trying to plan it all out. I need to be 1m above the top of the sandpit too, because if I am only 1m above the base I wont get the edges at the top.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.