Projector Setup

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Projector Setup

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GrantWells 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

amendezp
    Participant

I am a sixth grade teacher and two of my students just finished building their own sandbox. They also built their own computer from the motherboard up and are really excited about showing the rest of the school. This was the first time either of the girls had even opened up a computer so I’m very proud of them

We are using a Optoma GT760A Amazon Link and we have the lens mounted about 40 inches from the sand surface. The Kinect is at the same height as well. The projector is projecting further than our box and we can’t seem to make it fit only the box. We are zoomed in as much as possible
    Could the mounting height be LOWER than 40 inches??

Not sure if the Kinect could handle being lower or not. Also in the RawViewer the kinect is picking up the edges of the box, not sure if there was a step in calibration that should have constrained its field of vision.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  amendezp.

GrantWells
    Participant

Hi, almost certainly the issue is that the projector is an ultra short throw style, meaning it’s designed to go very close to it’s screen and project a very wide image. So for example on a coffee table say only 4ft from the wall – perfect for home gaming or movies.

So at 40inches it’s simply projecting an image that is way too big for your sandbox. So you have three options.
    A) it’s possible that the projector has a digital zoom or clamp function, where you can set a menu item in the projector to shrink the image.
    B) move the projector closer to the sand surface, by mounting it on a vertical pole at the rear centre of the sandbox, rather than overhead. The the downside of this is that the image alignment​ will be compromised, in practice it will still look great and work fine for a learning project. The effect is the contour lines will be effectively tilted to the projection lens rather than truly horizontal. This is the practical solution and will still be amazing.
    C) change projectors.

The Kinect does need to stay about 40inches and vertically centered on the sandbox.

The rawimage viewer should just see the edges of the sandbox and then these are eliminated during the calibration stage.

I’d recommend using the startup script from malamaker as it makes the calibration etc much easier.

Good luck, the calibration stage can be challenging. Hang in there..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.