Rain setup (options)

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Rain setup (options)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

cereass
    Participant

Hy,

I finaly made working Sandbox and it works awesome. The only with I have problem is rain…
    Whenever I am playing with sand the water(rain) is faling from side (probably senses my elbov
    that do not move much if you know what I meen.) It is raining when i just playing with sand… Is there any option to change maybe the time that is needed to hold hand stil to start raining. Or other option maybe to make offset from edge of sandbox where can you make rain and where rain can’t fall?

P.S. I make another SurfaceAddWaterColor-Lava.fs for lave. Is there any chance to assign a button that when I press it I can make Lava and then press again another button to change back to Water ?

Thanks for sharing this amazing project ! Respect!

cereass
    Participant

Does anyone have a solution?

sekingen
    Participant

Rain does not occur exactly at the place where my hand. Is ıt same with your sandbox?

cereass
    Participant

No when I want rain it occour on right place, but the problem with my sandbox it that the rain occour when I am just playing with sand because they sense my hand/elbow (if I am moving it to slowly) like I want to make rain. So my question is it possible to mabye change the time when rain occour.

hansf
    Participant

if you press “1” on the keyboard and choose the “manage water locally” option, then you could use “1” to make it rain where the mouse is.

Mackle
    Participant

SARndbox accepts many options on the command line; “-h” will show them all. The “-rer” option might be helpful for you:

-rer <min rain elevation> <max rain elevation>
         Sets the elevation range of the rain cloud level relative to the
         ground plane in cm
         Default: Above range of elevation color map

I have not (yet) tried this option myself, but my interpretation is that if you set the minimum
    elevation above where your hand and elbow are when just playing, it should help.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

There isn’t a good solution in the current SARndbox software. It only looks for non-moving objects in the rain elevation range, and if your shoulders or elbows happen to be inside that range, they will likely cause rain.

There will be an entirely new rain creation method in the next software version, but it’s not done yet.

billberet
    Participant

Do you happen to have a list of new/changed features that will be in the new software version.
    Just an idea of what’s to come.

Currently when it rains, I play an audio file of thunder and the sound of rain. I do it manually now when my son puts his hand over the box, it makes him jump and he loves the sound of the rain falling. Just a thought to add a sound clip to events. 🙂 I illuminated some buttons on the side of my box that handle all the events, Dry up the water, Play the sound clip, etc….

currently I’m adding my sandbox to my home automation system, with RFID’s so when you go next to the box it automatically powers up, I’m trying to have the box run fully autonomously.
    so any features you can add to a keyboard button configuration, I can add to an illuminated button on the box’s control panel. I’m looking forward to the next version 🙂

Rickshaw
    Participant

Hansf wrote:

if you press “1” on the keyboard and choose the “manage water locally” option, then you could use “1” to make it rain where the mouse is.

When I get to the “manage water”, or “add water locally” options, all I get is the option to “Dry”. There is no option to have it rain where the mouse is… but I see that others are doing it.

Would someone please help me figure this out? 🙂

Thanks in advance!

– Rick

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster
    1. Press and hold “1” and select “Manage Water Locally” tool.
    2. Let go of “1” to assign “rain” function.
    3. Press and relase “2” to assign “dry” function.

Then, press “1” to rain, or “2” to dry locally.

Rickshaw
    Participant

Thank you Oliver!
    I can’t get to my Sandbox until this evening… Is this for 1.6 only, or does it also work in 1.5-001?

– Rick
    San Diego, CA

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Works in all of them.

Rickshaw
    Participant

OK, Thank you. I can now make it rain with the “1” key, and Drain with the “2” key, But… it continues to rain with my hand over the sandbox too. Is there a -ws parameter that needs to be (de)activated?

And this is weird… It doesn’t rain under my cursor.
    When I move the cursor vertically (front to back) in the sandbox, the rain falls on a single horizontal line (right to left) in the center of the sandbox. No matter where I put the cursor, it rains only on the center horizontal line.

I’m running 1.5-001, with a GTX970 and a Core i3, and I’m mostly Linux illiterate, (just following the steps).

Thanks for all your help! I’m sure you already know by now how amazing this project is.

Rickshaw
    Participant

Oliver,
    Here’s a video of my cursor & rain situation:

Can you help me?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Yes, I realize what’s going on. Try running the SARndbox without the -fpv command line parameter. You’ll notice that the projected sand surface doesn’t line up with the real sand surface at all. That’s because without -fpv the sandbox doesn’t use the calibration matrix that you created.

However, when running SARndbox with -fpv, while the calibration matrix is applied to the display, it is not applied to the software’s internal representation. Meaning, when you think you’re clicking on some part of the map, the software thinks you clicked on something entirely different. Fixed projector view, via -fpv, and mouse-based interaction were never meant to be used together.

You can work around the problem by running the sandbox without -fpv, and using standard mouse-based navigation to manually line up the projected and real sand surfaces as closely as you can (you will not be able to get a perfect alignment). Then save the current viewing state via “Save View…” in Vrui’s system menu, and the next time you start SARndbox with -fpv, load the view you previously saved, either via the main menu, or the -loadView <view file name> command line option. After that, mouse interaction should be closely aligned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.