RawKinectViewer Depth Camera

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum RawKinectViewer Depth Camera

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Capstone2
    Participant

Hello,

I am making an AR Sandbox at my highschool for a senior capstone project. We are really enjoying the process and have been able to overcome some of the errors but one we cannot get past is the RawKinectViewer. Whenever we open the viewer(by running RawKinectViewer -compress 0) to calibrate the box it shows the image stream on the right, which is great, but it doesn’t show the depth camera on the left. After plugging our Kinect into a few different ports we realized that only the image stream appears in some ports, and neither streams show up in other ports. After reading the forum I saw that USB 2.0 is the best kind of port for this, but even when we plug it into what we suspect is a USB 2.0 port the depth camera does not appear. Any help would be greatly appreciated because the year is coming to a close and my classmates and I want to leave the school with this awesome project! Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

Sean Robinson
    Participant

It sounds like you’ve made a good start. My guess is that the depth camera on your Kinect has failed. Can you test your Kinect on an XBox or borrow another Kinect to try with your sandbox?

Capstone2
    Participant

I can try to get another Kinect in if that is the problem, so far we have been using a Kinect for the Xbox One, would a Kinect for the 360 work better? Also, is it being a Kinect for the Xbox One mean we have to do something special in the code that we missed?

Sean Robinson
    Participant

I don’t know that your Kinect is the problem. But, as your Kinect is probably second-hand (like most Kinects used in an AR Sandbox), there’s a good chance that the hardware has failed. The only way I know to confirm that your Kinect works is to try it with an XBox.

Oliver does seem to recommend the Kinect V1 (Kinect for XBox 360) over the Kinect V2 (Kinect for XBox One) for the AR Sandbox. But others in this forum are successfully using a Kinect V2.

As far as I know there are no different special settings required for a Kinect V2. But you definitely want to try the latest suite (Vrui, Kinect, and SARndbox) as that includes other improvements for a Kinect V2. I recommend updating to the latest versions as the easiest first step.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

“so far we have been using a Kinect for the Xbox One”

The Kinect-for-Xbox-One (Kinect V2) requires a USB 3 port, because the amount of data sent by its depth camera is way beyond USB 2’s limits, and even overwhelms some poorly-implemented USB 3 chipsets. It might outright not work or randomly crash during use on those chipsets, which is one reason why I don’t recommend it.

Kinect V1 works with USB 2, and sometimes didn’t work with early USB 3 chipsets. But those chipsets’ problems have generally been fixed, and I find Kinect V1s working reliably over USB 3 these days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.