Running with Windows

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Running with Windows

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  StacyParker 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Versaiteis
    Participant

Could Cygwin be used to compile the necessary packages to have a working installation on Windows?

This would be convenient for some testing since going through a Virtual Machine tends to distort the Kinect camera

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I haven’t tried building under cygwin in a very long time, and last time it didn’t work.

One issue with running under Windows, either via cygwin (if it works) or in a virtual machine, is that the sandbox application won’t get access to the graphics hardware — it can only run in emulated mode.

This means the performance of the sandbox, especially the water simulation, will be very poor. The ideal installation is with a dedicated Linux PC, or a Linux installation run natively via dual-boot.

localmicro
    Participant

That being said, Thom Wolf and Rasmus Paulsen made a Magic Sand version for Windows, which we used for our sandbox. This Windows software has 3 games for children. It doesn’t have the features that require a graphics card. The software is written in C++ and uses OpenFrameworks.

A magic sandbox I made for my 3 y.o. son’s birthday. Detailed BOM and source code included.

StacyParker
    Participant

kk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.