Sand brand

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Sand brand

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  daparret 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

keueram72
    Participant

Has anyone used white sand, other than the Sandtastik brand? I have built the entire sandbox, have the programs calibrated and am at the point I need to put the sand in, but I do not want to wait for the sand to be delivered(this is for my daughter’s 7th birthday which is coming up quickly.) Has anyone used white play sand from local department stores, like Lowe’s or Home Depot??

Thanks,
    Adam

Rob Reynolds
    Participant

I bought some ‘play sand’ at a lumber store. Not great, but will do in a pinch. Might want to spritz it to make it damper.
    Rob

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Get the whitest sand you can find, ideally wash it before putting it into the sandbox to reduce the amount of dust (dust can interfere with the Kinect’s operation), and keep it slightly damp during use to make it more moldable. For Sandtastik sand, I recommend one cup of water per 200lb of sand (more or less). For coarser-grain sand (Sandtastik is very fine), you’ll have to experiment.

keueram72
    Participant

Rob, was the play sand white or tan? Did the projected image still show up well?

keueram72
    Participant

Thanks for the info! It is greatly appreciated.

jslakeviz
    Participant

I got the Santastic sand from Office Max. I manage to get free shipping. Very heavy, therefore, shipping could be expensive. It took about 7 days to arrive.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  jslakeviz.

daparret
    Participant

Hi jslakeviz, I am also having difficulties finding Sandtastic sand, specifically here in Anchorage, AK. I checked the Officemax website (haven’t called down there yet) but was unable to find the product on their webpage. Was it an item you saw in a store location? Amazon won’t ship it up here, and Getting it directly from the supplier had a shipping cost of ~$600!

daparret
    Participant

Please disregard this as I finally found a buying option on Amazon that was through the Amazon fulfillment center. That meant free shipping for us!
    Although I do feel slightly guilty getting 200 lbs of sand shipped to AK for free.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.