Sand dust in projector

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Sand dust in projector

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SSandford
    Participant

Our projector is getting damaged from dust that floats up from the sand. The projector is located at our local zoo and gets heavy use daily. I have read another forum about prewashing the sand to remove dust but I don’t think the zoo staff will have time to do that so am looking for other solutions. Have any of you encountered this issue? If so, what did you do?

David
    Participant

Hey SSandford,
    i would imagine a zoo is a fairly dusty environment, washing the sand will obviously only help if the dust comes mainly from the sand. Perhaps you can enclose the projector (and pc for that matter) in a preferably fire retardant box with glass in front of the lens and filtered intake and exhaust fans.
    Can you post some pictures of the sandbox installation so we can suggest more appropriate measures.
    greetings,
    David

benandersen
    Participant

I have a sandbox up at a local interactive children’s museum, where one of the more exciting things for the kids to do is to toss the sand into the air and watch the rainbow colors fall back down. This creates a ton of dust, which gets sucked right into the projector. Personally, I simply remove the projector, open it up and clean it out. This has allowed the system to work for about 6 months, so far, with only one cleaning of the projector.

I have considered, basically, enclosing the top portion of the sandbox, with the projector and 3d camera, in a ventilated box, with a piece of glass under the projector lens and 3d camera. I have heard that there are filter films that can be put on the glass to get the n-value close to that of air, but have not looked into it (with just glass, there should be slight separation of wavelengths, which may adversely affect the projector output, and may greatly affect the 3d camera). The dust does seem to, eventually, lessen. I never did a wash on the sand, either.

You may also try a simple fan, to keep the dust from getting to the projector. One placed above the projector, aiming down at the projector, may keep most of the dust away.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by benandersen.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.