Sand for Sandbox

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Sand for Sandbox

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  billberet 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

markh
    Participant

Hi, I’m in the process of finishing with our Sandbox build and I was watching the latest Sandbox calibration video(March 11, 2015)and you said that you were using kinetic sand. Did you guys buy the kinetic sand or did you make it? That much kinetic sand would run about $800.00 to purchase from the prices I’ve found, and out of our budget, so if you made yours what type of sand and additive did you use?

Thanks, Mark

billberet
    Participant

My experience with sand:
    when I created my sandbox I used sandtastic white sand. It’s highly reflective and great for kids. I found the kinetic sand is great for adults, but more challenging for kids, (harder on the fingers). Not to mention I made this on my own so I was not about to spend an obscene amount of money for sand. I was going to get home depot play sand, it was available but I opted against the standard sand color. Getting the white sand was the best choice for me. If I want to make a formation, I have a spray bottle with water.

I opted away from making kinetic sand, because you have to keep it air tight when not in use (keep from drying up). it’s made with corn starch and dish soap, as a precautionary, you can probably keep a spray bottle with diluted (10%) bleach or vinegar near by to prevent any possible bacteria/mold. It will start to smell after a few weeks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  billberet.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  billberet.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.