Sandbox design

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Sandbox design

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant

we want to setup a ARS for an temporary exhibition for education purposes in Berlin, Germany. First, thank you for the detailed instruction to build a sandbox and we will follow this instruction step by step. At the moment we are planning the box and the system design of the ARS. I especially like the AR Sandbox installed at the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center. Now I am wondering if there exist detailed technical drawings including dimensioning about the system design of this ARS. I am especially interested about the practical experiences about the gap between sandbox and frame to avoid sand falling over the box edges. Does it work? Secondly, do you recommend portrait orientation of the sandbox or would you stick to the landscape orientation?
    Thanks ahead.
    Regards
    Ben

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The ECHO AR Sandbox, and its identical twins at Lake Tahoe and Lawrence Hall of Science, were designed by the San Francisco Exploratorium workshops. We paid for the design, so the drawings should be available. Please contact the person in charge at the Exploratorium, Allyson Feeney, via globalstudios@exploratorium.edu .

The ECHO et al. sandboxes are in portrait orientation, in the sense that the back cabinet is along one of the short box edges. Due to the projector being natively landscape, this leads to a less stable setup where the projector is dangling from the top hood. I recommend a design where the projector is directly attached to the cabinet, running up from the center of one of the long edges.

Since you’re in Berlin, have you checked out the AR Sandbox at the GameScienceCenter?

Ben
    Participant

Oliver, thank you very much for the answer and the tip for the ARS in Berlin. I did not know that we have already one in Berlin or Germany. Regarding the orientation, we think we will stick to landscape orientation.

Ben
    Participant

For those who are interested in the gap design, here is the answer from Allyson: When I asked our technical director about the sand he said the gap is not as effective as it was intended to be. As with most all sand exhibits, the sand gets under visitor’s fingernails and sticks to their hands. Consequently, the sand is transferred to other exhibits throughout the museum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.