Editing sandbox variables (on the fly)

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Editing sandbox variables (on the fly)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  INTPTT 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

billberet
    Participant

Can any variables be changed on the fly while the sandbox is running?

I’m looking at 0 elevation (base plane). Right now I have to change the txt file, then restart the sandbox.
    but if I could change the sea level on the fly, the box could be reconfigured in real time.

say their is a drought, and sea level has dropped 3cm, i can use the UP arrow or Down arrow to change it.
    then the ‘BLUE’ areas will turn green because sea level has dropped. same for flooding, i can raise the base plane and watch everything turn blue, then see what is still above water.

the way things are now, in order to achieve this effect i was thinking of making a few batch files that change the base plane, then auto start the sandbox again.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  billberet.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  billberet.

INTPTT
    Participant

We’re in the same boat. Would love to be able to alter the -ws fluid variable between water, lava and our snow shader. As of right now, a shell script to restart the ARSB is all we can think of, but that ruins the effect, plus resets the liquid. Likely just a limitation with the way things are made, and that’s ok.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

See my post about the new 1.6 SARndbox package. The named pipe does not support changing the base plane elevation, as that would have all kinds of bad side effects. But it should support your desired feature in a better way: you can create multiple elevation color maps with different water levels, and switch between them on-the-fly. If you edit the color maps such that the part above the current desired water level is always exactly the same, you will get a very nice effect where the water level seems to rise and fall, but everything else stays exactly the same.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

billberet
    Participant

that would work, I could swap out the color maps the same way I change from water to lava on the fly.

INTPTT
    Participant

Fantastic!! Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.