SARndbox ability to capture images and height data

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum SARndbox ability to capture images and height data

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sotoglzz 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lucie.1104611
    Participant

I was wondering whether the SARndbox has the capability of capturing actual images of the contours/topography of the sandbox and reprojecting old contour lines onto the sandbox so that the sand can be remoulded to previous states.

Additionally, I want to know whether the software has the ability to record the contours and height data as points to be imported into a GIS?

Does anyone have any information on this?

bavery
    Participant

I would also love to implement a data collection component. The ability to save the data generated could open up the possibility of using this technique to map a larger area by moving the connect. For example I was thinking of doing some mapping with some camp kids here at the Connecticut Science Center. The kids could make their own “seafloor” out of any number of materials, then move the Kinect around to map it. If the setup was on a cart without a bottom, that would maintain the same height above the floor the size of the area mapped could be greatly expanded. The cart could be moved one field of view at a time. The ability to stitch the “frames” of maps together is really the perfect example of how modern seafloor mapping is done with sonar.

Does anyone know of any contacts in the New England area to consult for help on this?

Lingthay
    Participant

Yes,i really want Can render the Height Data. that’s for teaching in school with much more persuasive argument

sotoglzz
    Participant

Hi Lucie, you have to look this post in the sandbox forum:
    http://lakeviz.org/forums/topic/model-export/

With the LWO files I export it as .ply or pointclod files and you can work with them in a GIS software.

Additionally, maybe this information can help you:

https://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/tangible-landscape.html

From the Tangible Landscape site:
    ”’Tangible Landscape (formerly known as TanGeoMS) is a collaborative modeling environment for analysis of terrain changes. We couple a scanner, projector and a physical 3D model with GRASS GIS. We can analyze the impact of terrain changes by capturing the changes on the model, bringing them into the GIS, performing desired analysis or simulation and projecting the results back on the model in real-time. Tangible Landscape, as an easy-to-use 3D sketching tool, enables rapid design and scenarios testing for people with different backgrounds and computer knowledge, as well as support for decision-making process”’

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with the kinect that uses the sandbox, you have to purchase a kinect 2.0 and also and adapter for the computer.
    I have it and is amazing for research and also for teaching in school, I have the pdf that explain everything of the tangible landscape, if you give me and email address I can send it to you.

Regards
    Jose Soto

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.