Slow water???

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Slow water???

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BrettMusgrave 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

BrettMusgrave
    Participant

I have a Dell Optiplex 990
    Intel I7 2600 processor
    GTX 1050 ti 4gb DDR 5 video card
    4gb of DDR 3 ram

If water simulation covers say 10% of the area, the simulation is nice and smooth, very fast flowing, etc.
    When making rain on entire area or a lake covering say 20% of the area, the water simulation gets very slow. I must drain some water to speed it back up.

What the heck can I do to resolve this?!?!?
    I obviously want smooth water simulation at all times.

When viewing system moniter it shows video and memory usage at about 20% while large water simulation is going on. The processor will show 1 core at 100% and the other 3 around 10%. The 100% load moves from core 1, to 2, to 3, 4, back to 1, etc.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

What’s your graphics card’s load while water is slow? Run nvidia-settings and go to the “GPU 0” tab, which will show GPU utilization in percent.

In general, water simulation speed is mostly independent of the amount of water in the box, but directly dependent on the maximum velocity of any water in the box. If you have any very steep terrain, or, even worse, spikes or holes from Kinect 3D reconstruction artifacts, the simulation will run slow if there is any water around those problem spots.

Are you running a Kinect v1 or v2?

BrettMusgrave
    Participant

Thank you for the response!
    I will check this information and post back.
    I believe the Kinect is a V1.
    I have the sandbox at my local library right now.
    I had a GTX 970ti card in it and thought that was ghe problem so I upgraded to the 1050 ti with no change. I also had an i5 processor which I upgraded to an i7 with no change.

I’ll check as you requested and I will take a short video when I get a chance to go to the library

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.