Staggered cloud(s) and no rain

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Staggered cloud(s) and no rain

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    oakertood
    Participant

We are trying to implement our AR Sandbox for a local Nature Center in Norther IL. The software was “sort of” implemented by another party. Everything seems to run, but when we try to create a cloud and rain, the image in the sand is 1) delayed and 2) a staggered image. I will try to attach the image for more information.

Staggered cloud

I know I have not given enough info to diagnose, but I am not sure what would be needed to do so….

Should I just rebuild the SARndbox app?

Thanks for any help!

Todd

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by oakertood.
    Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I guess you’re holding whatever prop you use for a cloud too low over the sandbox, and it gets detected as terrain instead of a cloud. The valid range of terrain elevations is defined by the range of elevations in your color map file, and the valid elevation range for rain objects is given as an (optional) command line parameter to SARndbox: -rer .

oakertood
    Participant

Oliver,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I added -rer to the command line, but I obviously still have something wrong.

Here is a video of what is happening.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sjx5xm9e8t5gpm/IMG_1059.MOV?dl=0

Interestingly, I am able to somewhat consistently “bring rain” if I “burst” my hand from a fist to open-palm, but my wife was never able to do that, only the delayed “stagger”.

and here is the command line I am calling.
    ./bin/SARndbox -uhm -fpv -rer 5 70

I was not sure what to enter as the min and max elevation, so i guessed (and played a little), but with little success.

As you can see, I am also getting only a subset of the sandbox covered by the topo display.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc2qidz5jzg8a9e/IMG_1061.JPG?dl=0

Any suggestions on expanding the display?

oakertood
    Participant

UPDATE: I saw the post(s) on xrandr and/or nvidia-settings to adjust the projector settings. To be clear, the projector is positioned to fill the sandbox, but when running SARndbox, the tool kill zone red box is in the corner of the sandbox, but the topo display is much smaller.

Also, I didn’t say this before, but this is a crazy awesome system and tool! Thanks for all the support and development that has gone into this!!

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

If your projector image fills the box, but the topo display is smaller, you have one of two problems:

1) The Kinect camera doesn’t see the entire interior of the box. The topography is only reconstructed where the Kinect can see it.

2) Something went wrong during projector calibration. Pass the correct pixel size of your projector to CalibrateProjector (./bin/Calibrateprojector -s <width> <height>) , and ensure that its display window is full-screen. Do the same when running SARndbox.

kslocum
    Participant

I’m having the same issue following an update this morning…

The rain/dry buttons work fine and the animation runs smoothly, but when I try to form a rain cloud it doesn’t rain. If I wiggle my fingers, I’ll get some very meager droplets, but not a proper rain like it had before the update to 2.5

I have run the command line with and without the rain elevation changed and it did not fix the issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.