Support the AR Sandbox

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Support the AR Sandbox

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

We recently set up a donation account with UC Davis to support the mission of the W.M. Keck Center for Active Visualization in the Earth Sciences (KeckCAVES — that’s us), and that mission includes further development of the AR Sandbox. We did this to explore alternative forms of funding for our projects, given the increasing difficulty of securing continuing support from traditional sources such as the US National Science Foundation, who funded the initial development of the AR Sandbox through the LakeViz project. Since the LakeViz project’s completion in 2016, the AR Sandbox has been an unfunded effort.

Donations to the fund linked above are US income tax-deductible as charitable contributions, and — minus a 6% administrative fee retained by UC Davis — go directly to an account over which we have spending authority, for example to draw salaries, reimburse travel costs, or purchase equipment.

If you would like to support the AR Sandbox, or the work of the KeckCAVES group at large, please visit our fund’s home page.

For more information, go to UC Davis’ central donation page, find answers to frequently asked donation questions, or have a look at UC Davis’ glossy donation brochure.

Jamie Johnson
    Participant

It’s easier to see your sandbox.

juanca21
    Participant

Awesome. 🙂

Prakash Narayanan
    Participant

Hi Oliver.
    Greetings from India.
    I am looking at developing a sandbox for some schools in India. I had a few questions:

1. As mentioned , the suggested projector is not available in India and moreover projectors with lens throw ratio of 0.90 – 1.08 is not available which is best suited for the application. Need an advice on how to go about it. can we rig projector and the sensor at different levels.

2. What could be most economical graphic card option that can work perfectly.

Since my objective is to produce a unit at the most affordable cost for school to invest, would need a good suggestion for me to move forward.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

You can mount camera and projector at different heights, but the higher you go, the less mechanically stable it will be. You can also use a mirror to fold the projector’s light path. For example, if you had a 2.0 throw ratio projector, you could place the projector at the same level as the sandbox, and put a mirror at the same level as the Kinect. There are some examples of AR Sandboxes with mirrors on my “External Installations” page.

There is no graphics card that works perfectly; the AR Sandbox’s water simulation can bring pretty much anything to its knees under some circumstances due to its conservative (meaning, conserving physical quantities) nature. But an Nvidia GeForce 1050 works well enough that when it does stutter once in a while, you can bring it back by removing some water from the simulation. You could also use older GeForces such as GTX 960, 770, or 680, but you will get more stutter the further down you go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.