Surrounding light

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Surrounding light

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Karina Wilhelm
    Participant

I’m in the process of getting a sandbox built for my Map Collection at ASU.
    However, it is very bright and I really control the lights unless I unscrew some of the light bulbs.
    How dark does it need to be for the projection to show up well?

maphew
    Participant

It’s probably highly dependent on the particular kind of projector you have.

To control the ambient light I’m using room lights that are on a dimmer switch. This lets me bring the lights up when I need to see to work on the computer or whatever and then dim when in sandbox operation mode. You can get LED dimming bulbs now that you can control with a smartphone and don’t require the light circuit or lamp itself to be dimmable (e.g. they fit in any old light socket).

If you’re not in a room where you can do that you might need to get portable screens. The folding japanese style would work well. In other situations I’ve just untwisted the bulbs directly overhead.

Karina Wilhelm
    Participant

If anyone has had to rig up a screen or barrier to block light I would be very interested in seeing pictures.

The sandbox will be placed in a large map collection with many many lights of which I can control none. I can have maintenance unscrew light bulbs but I won’t be able to turn them back on when the sandbox isn’t in use.

My coworker is checking on getting a really good projector which will hopefully help.

maphew
    Participant

I have an ASUS B1M on loan, and have been surprised at how well it does with relatively high ambient light, pic below. it’s rated at 700 lumens, while Oliver’s recommended one 3000 lumens. The B1M is expensive though, I’ll have to go with something else much cheaper pretty soon. :-/
    Before buying ask them to turn the projector on in the store, that should give a pretty a good approximation.

B1m projector sandbox with ambient light

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.