Tangible Landscape

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Tangible Landscape

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    maphew
    Participant

Discovered a new project today that will be of interest to AR Sandbox folk: Tangible Landscape“a collaborative modeling environment for analysis of terrain changes. We couple a scanner, projector and a physical 3D model with GRASS GIS. We can analyze the impact of terrain changes by capturing the changes on the model, bringing them into the GIS, performing desired analysis or simulation and projecting the results back on the model.”
    https://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/tangible-landscape.html

The physical setup is similar to AR Sandbox — computer, depth camera, projector, modelling surface — but not as integrated. One of their approaches on the model side that piqued my interest is using a physical 3D model as a substrate and then sand impregnated with a polymer on top for malleability.

physical setup

From watching the videos, AR Sandbox kicks butt in terms of interactivity, with near real-time responsiveness, while Tangible has the high ground (heheh) on real world data integration and analysis.

wildfire model

I’m looking forward to seeing how these two projects can inform each other and build greater things.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by maphew.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by maphew.
    billberet
    Participant

what I want to do is combine the two, have a tangible landscape projected on the sand surface. so if you create a tsunami you can watch it wash away the terrain, then survey the damage. I know this is far off but it would be a great concept.

maphew
    Participant

sand impregnated with nano-bots. Tell them where to move with the computer!
    (hmmm, I wonder what one could do with magnetic sand?)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.