USB Button Solution

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum USB Button Solution

This topic contains 56 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Joshua.waymire 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

ChrisVeale
    Participant

nice instructions ajy00,

I found the instruction from mkaszuba brilliant, and the zip with the files was an awesome Launchpad. Its useful to have the last post too with a list of the directories needed just in list form 🙂

from memory there was something missing around setting a .sh file to be executable as you have said above.

great stuff …

sbarringer
    Participant

I am pretty sure I have done the directions posted from mkaszuba using the zipped files. After fixing a few things here and there it seems like it is trying to work but I am missing something like Chris just mentioned. Keys 1-4 work as they should for basic rain/water. The water color has changed too since I put in the shader files so I know something is working there. Once I try key 5 or 6 the Sandbox locks up and I have to restart the computer. If I go into the scripts folder and run the weather.sh script by clicking it I can see that it does change the weather_file to the next thing in the list. Maybe it’s something like naming, file structure, or spelling mistake error.

sbarringer
    Participant

Should I be able to run the shader files in terminal?

ajy00
    Participant

if you mean swapping the shaders by running sh switch-to-water.sh or sh weather.sh from your scripts directory then yes. The standalone shader files (SurfaceAddWaterColor-Water.fs etc) are config files used by the main program, so you can’t ‘run’ them.

sbarringer
    Participant

Right, that is what I thought. I am grasping at straws here. lol I did notice a “remake” the vrui app step mentioned in a later comment that I can’t seem to find what it means. Do you know?

sbarringer
    Participant

Ok, this is the third time this has happened – I step away for a second and something new seems to miraculously work. I came back and ran the sandbox and it was showing lava! So then it had to be the executable file line in the cfg file. I finally got that fixed properly and I think I am all good! I am just going to now alter it so it uses the usb buttons instead of the keyboard and I am cooking with oil! (or lava, toxic waste, etc…) Thanks for all the responses!

sbarringer
    Participant

It’s all working! Also, for those that have 3D printers and are using the buttons described in the first post I have created a housing you can attach to the side of your box. Here is the thingiverse link:

3 buttons (rain, dry, cycle weather) The USB encoder fits in the bottom of this easily.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3038793

2 Buttons – I am not sure if the USB encoder fits in this one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3038807

Single Button – If the USB encoder fits in this it will be sideways

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3038817

Hope it’s of use to someone!

liudr
    Participant

How much is it to print a box like the 3-button box? It cost me $8 to print a box that is insignificant compared to your models at a university print shop that prints cheap (according to them).

Here is what I’ve been using for about $16 and it has ten 16/20mm knockout ports to easily add buttons.

SK-15

My blog on how to make a button box without messing with linux commands:

Arduino sandbox control

sbarringer
    Participant

Well, the 3 button box took about 90 grams of filament. The spool has about 900 grams and costs $45. So if you had your own 3D printer and were just paying for filament it would be about $4.50 I guess. (quick math there) This also is using official Makerbot filament which isn’t the cheapest out there but I know it works well since that is the printer I have. I am not sure how many grams are used on the thing you are printing but $8 isn’t bad for a few things but if you are doing that a lot you almost might just invest in your own printer. That’s good price for the case you bought for buttons!

liudr
    Participant

Thanks. It’s good to know materials don’t cost too much. I might get a 3D printer this year or next but I’m not thinking about expensive ones like makerbot. The small black printout isn’t big at all. I don’t have it with me but it is about 3 times as wide as a USB plug, then by 1.5X and by 1X usb plug width roughly. The SK-15 box is really nice with IP66 rating. One thing I notice is that you need to cover the box with clear plastic so sand doesn’t get in between the buttons’ mechanical parts and get them stuck. Trust a kid to test the limit of your “ideal situation”!

sbarringer
    Participant

Good to know!

putri
    Participant

Thank you. kata kata mutira

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  putri.

nelsonb
    Participant

Do the buttons mentioned above work with Linux based systems? I have tried another mentioned button providers, however they are currently having a kernel issue with their products. We are looking into alternate solutions, but have had no such luck so far. Any suggestions or insight?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  nelsonb.

ajy00
    Participant

liudr
    Participant

If you meant my buttons, constructed out of an arduino micro or adafruit board, they are universal input devices such as usb keyboards that require no special operating system support. They ‘press’ 1 and 2 or any buttons you program them to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.