USB problems with Kinect

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum USB problems with Kinect

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mjkaadri 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Oliver Kreylos

If you have trouble connecting to your Kinect device, for example, if KinectUtil or RawKinectViewer keep terminating with an error similar to the following one:

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
    what(): Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected
    Aborted

then your PC might have a bad USB host controller.

First, check if your Kinect is plugged into a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 port. From a terminal, run lsusb and look for a line like the following:

Bus 001 Device 014: ID 045e:02ae Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Camera

Instead of “NUI Camera,” you might get “NUI Audio” or “NUI Motor,” and the bus and device numbers depend on your local setup. Note down the bus number you see, and then look for a line indicating a root hub with the same bus number, and device number 1, in the output from lsusb. In my case:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

This indicates that my Kinect is plugged into a USB 2.0 bus. For USB 3.0, you would see:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

If your Kinect is on USB 3.0, try plugging it into a USB 2.0 port. Confirm via the above method that the port you found really is USB 2.0.

If your PC does not have USB 2.0 ports, of if the problem persists even on USB 2.0, you will have to buy and install a PCI express USB 3.0 extension card. I have successfully been using this no-name card, for USD 11.30 plus shipping, to run multiple Kinects at the same time.

The important thing to look out for is that the USB extension card is based on a USB controller chip from NEC or Renesas Technology Corp., chip models “uDP720200″ or “uDP720202” or similar. When installing the card, you must connect the power plug on the back of the card to your PC’s power supply unit.

If you want to find out the chip type of your current USB 3.0 host controller, run the following from a terminal:

lspci | grep "USB 3.0"

In my case, the output is:

06:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 02)

dtatay
    Participant

Hi Oliver;
    we have a problem with the Kinect System recognition we have tried 2 OS;
    Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
    linuxmint-17.2-mate

lsusb shows this:

Bus 008 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp.
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 006: ID 045e:02d9 Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 006: ID 045e:02d9 Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:034a Hewlett-Packard Elite Keyboard
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp.
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:3074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 SuperSpeed hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 174c:2074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 High-Speed hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0458:0137 KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems)

we have bought also the NEC chipset PCI USB hub with no luck. (connecting the extra power cord to motherboard)

lspci | grep “USB 3.0”
    05:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host Controller
    0a:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)

One important information is that the Kinect have white light. model Xbox 360 Kinect 1473

There is anything that we can do to solve it or test for?

thanks in advance.
    Regards.

Oliver Kreylos

That’s unfortunate. It is possible that the fault lies with your Kinect itself, or maybe its cable. Do you happen to have access to another one you could try?

dtatay
    Participant

Ross
    Participant

Hi dtatay
    Thanks for the information on this power adapter all things Amazon are not as advertised.
    I was hoping you could give me some advice on the USB connection on the kinect.
    I’ve acquired a 1414 kinect 360 but the usb plug does not fit the usb socket on my dell laptop, can you tell me if there is a modification or converter required make this Kinect – USB transition.
    thanks and best regards

NattyAlway
    Participant

Can you please share all the details of your hardware setup?
    Which Kinect you are using and what is its inteface?
    Also how you are doing its controlling?

mikesmith32
    Participant

Hello, (I am reposting this on many forums sorry If you have seen it already)

I am using the adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S7GA46/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JVI6BVY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WRV754BKA4K863SC3R7) and I have concluded that it is not providing enough power to my Kinect. The green light on the Kinect is blinking sporadically and I get random outputs of the motor, audio, and camera when using the “lsusb” command.

I understand the solution of using a USB 3.0 PCI Express Card but for mobility I’m using the Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case. It supports only Mini ITX motherboard which have only one PCI-E X16 slot. My graphics card takes up the only slot and I cannot afford to purchase a new case and motherboard, so I need a different solution.

Is there any way I can get more power to the Kinect through the Power Supply AC Cable Adapter? Could I possibly rewire or modify the circuitry to provide more power? I am open to any ideas or solutions you guys can think of.

Power Supply – CS450M
    Graphics Card – GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    CPU – Intel Pentium G3258 LGA1150 socket
    Motherboard – ASrock H81M-ITX
    Kinect Model – 1414

Thank you for the help,
    Mike

Ross
    Participant

Hi NattyAlway

Following Olivers advice, the Kinect version 1’s (version 2’s not supported at this time) all have the same functionality despite outward appearances. The Kinect 360 also known as model no 1414 is the one I have selected because it is widely available and usually the cheapest price.

The usb connector does not fit a usb port on a PC or laptop and you require to purchase a Kinect USB power supply in addition This interfaces to a USB plug allowing the required connection to be made.
    The Power supply also provides a the required amount of power for the connect as in many instances a the PC can fail to do so. ** see recommendations above as there are many usb power supplies claiming to be original Microsoft models, this is evidently not the case

I will use the recommended BenQ 631 as the XGA resolution is sufficient for current and near future developments.

I currently use a dell precision laptop for testing purposes but will upgrade to the recommended minimum intel i5 + NVIDA 960 or possibly better graphics card if the budget can survive it.
    I believe from other posts contouring will work on a lesser specification while water simulations are more graphics processor intensive. For my own purposes performance is important so I’ll stay at the high end.

The physical construction requires the specified projector to be mounted at 90 degrees to the sand surface this will probably require the projector to be mounted a little behind the rear edge of the sand box to compensate for the short throw design – I’ll give further details when my projector arrives. The size of the sandbox at 40 X 30 ins is a compromise between many factors in including the contour spacing where making the box larger increases the spacing and obviously the pixel size will also increase. Though I see a large box as desirable I see these factors as limitations and have followed advice sticking with the 40 X 30 dimensions.

Hope this helps.

smarley
    Participant

Hi, having a big problem getting the Kinect to be recognized. The light comes on and flashes briefly when the Kinect is first plugged in then goes off. I’ve tried it in USB 2 and 3 ports and have the same outcome:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error' what(): Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected

I then bought a PCIe USB3 card with an NEC chip as recommended, plugged in the extra power connector and still get the same error. The Kinect is model 1414 and has an original power supply. the Kinect works fine under Windows with the official SDK. The output of lsusb is as follows when connected to the PCIe card:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 009: ID 045e:02b0 Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Motor
    Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c52f Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04d9:2519 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Shenzhen LogoTech 2.4GHz receiver

The lspci output:

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)
    03:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)

Anyone have any other ideas on what else I could try? Thanks.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  smarley.

smarley
    Participant

Replying to my own message as I cannot edit it…

Problem solved! Previously I was trying to use Ubuntu Mate as Mint 17.3 doesn’t work well with Skylake CPUs. Yesterday, Mint 18 beta was released which does support Skylake – I installed it, and the Kinect now works with no hassle. Hope that’s helpful to someone.

edwdd4
    Participant

We are setting up an AR Sandbox and following the online directions. We are running Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Mate 64 bit. We have a Kinect 360 connected with this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVI6BVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to a Dell Alienware laptop (the laptop has 3.0 USB ports). The Kinect is powered and has a steady blinking green light. When I type “lsusb” into a command window it recognizes the Xbox Kinect is connected. However when I try to do Step 5 in the setup instruction, typing in “sudo KinectUtil getCalib 0” it asks for a password, which I typed in and continue, but then I get “sudo:KinectUtil: command not found”. So it seems it’s not pulling anything from the Kinect firmware or even liking the command. I was reading on the forum that maybe you need to be plugged into a 2.0 USB port, but my laptop does not have that. Is there a work around or is there some sort of hub or converter I should be trying? Or is there an alternate command that can be used to try to talk to the Kinect and get its firmware downloaded?

Oliver Kreylos

I just realized that this is a problem with my instructions. You need to run
    sudo /usr/local/bin/KinectUtil getCalib 0
    for the command to work.

Thank you for reporting the error; I fixed the instructions accordingly.

williamHsu
    Participant

hi~ i got some weird problem with my kinect. i got 2 kinect ( 1414 and 1473 ) and i run on ubuntu16.04 / kinect3.2 / Vrui-4.2 / SARndbox-2.2

i use 1414 when i run “RawKinectViewer -compress 0” and the popup window with my kinect-detection is not always immediate~~

sometimes is black and white https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Gvn85q9HptX1NQbEhQSHJaSjA

sometimes is lattice https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Gvn85q9HptMWpjRGhVeHNITlE

and most of times it’s seems stop at first second capture https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Gvn85q9HptdGpRYTI2M1NfeWM

and i follow the topic and try to usb2.0 or 3.0 and change different adapter it’s all the same

and when i press esc and try again, it’s will show

“caught exception kinect::camera::startStreaming:Failed to initialize streaming mode” then i need to re plug the kinect’s usb

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Gvn85q9HptWDh1TDhZaURuMVE

however after i try several times ,and it’s will work (sometime many many many times ,sometimes few times)

i don’t know why and how but it’s troubled .

but! ~ when i use 1473 it’s all good without any problem (all the same hardware)

so @@?? any one knows how to fix? thanks a lot

williamHsu
    Participant

hi~ i run with kinect v2 but cant work ~it’s show terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
    what(): Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected Aborted ~and i cand fixed with Aforementioned step ~ @@ did anyone have expenrice? thx

mjkaadri
    Participant

Thank you, buddy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.