Use of Raspberry Pi for the computer

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Use of Raspberry Pi for the computer

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alex 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

CanisiusPhysics
    Participant

The Raspberry Pi as a $35, single board computer capable of running Linux. The current version has 1Gb of on board memory and runs around 1 Ghz.

Since the Earth Science teacher at my school is not currently interested in utilizing the water flow feature of the Sandbox, I thought that the Pi might be an adequate engine for the setup.

Software installation was easy via the instructions on this forum. The Earth-view had the Earth spinning somewhat jerkily, which was an initial concern.

When it came time to connect the Kinect, I initially had trouble because of udev complications. However, running the KinectUtil program as root solved that problem. Here again, there is a slight time lag between action and what is displayed. But the ES teacher doesn’t seem concerned.

We have not built the actual sand box yet and so have not tried the Pi-configuration fully, but it seems like the Raspberry Pi might be an option for us and should be considered by those with limited budgets.

I will update later as we build the actual sandbox, probably the week after Easter.

@kmattr2050
    Participant

Hello, I am also a student at a university who has been given the task of running the AR Sandbox on a Raspberry Pi. I assume you also do not have a dedicated graphocs card and are purely running the software off a Raspberry Pi alone? I have not been as successful as you seem to have been, as I am receiving several errors with installation. I have followed the “Complete Installation Instructions” provided on this site, and still have issues.

I read on here, under Common Issues (READ FIRST) http://lakeviz.org/forums/topic/common-issues-read-this-first/, that the calibrtion steps should be skipped unless unsatisfactory behavior results. Therefore, I completed steps 1-4 then skipped to step 11.

I must note that after running the script in step 4, I did not have this happen:
    “The script run in the last command will ask you for your user’s password to install prerequisite libraries, and then build the Vrui VR toolkit. That will take a little while and produce lots of output, and at the end you’ll be greeted by a spinning globe in a window. Close that window and go back to the same terminal as before:”

No window opened with a spinning globe. I still proceeded to step 11.

When I tried to run the main application, I get the error:
    0.155481 x 0.15066
    Caught exception GLContext: Unable to open display default while initializing rendering window o
    Caught exception Vrui::startDisplay: Could not create all rendering windows while initializing rendering windows

I am using a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with a Quad Core Broadcom BCM2836 CPU and 1GB RAM.

I read what to do with the GLContext error but the instructions on that did not help as I am not using a dedicated graphics card of any sort. Any suggestions?

Alex
    Participant

Hey, I’m a high school student trying to do the same thing.
    When I run the RawKinectViewer its all fine, just a bit choppy, clear enough etc. But as soon as I try to run the main program I get the error:
    Caught exception Sandbox: Not all required extensions are supported by local OpenGL while initializing rendering windows
    I read somewhere else that it could be a graphic driver issue. Anyway, any help what so ever is very much appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.