Version of Kinect

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Version of Kinect

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ross 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

anykey
    Participant

Hi,

I really want to build one of the cool Sandbox AR. Which kinect camera should I buy? Is the new one supported with the PC connection kit?

Regards,
    Richard

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

From the instructions page:

The AR Sandbox software, or rather the underlying Kinect 3D Video Package as of version 2.8, supports all three models of the first-generation Kinect (Kinect-for-Xbox 1414 and 1473 and Kinect for Windows). All three are functionally identical, so get the cheapest model you can find. Note: The second-generation Kinect (Kinect for Xbox One or Kinect for Windows v2) is not yet supported by the AR Sandbox software.

Ross
    Participant

Hi Oliver thanks for that information I did not realize the 1414 was the Kinect 360.

You mention the software 2.8 does not support version 2 “Yet”

As I’m about to invest in the recommended Benq projector I just wanted to check if it is likely that higher resolution video modes would be used on future versions for the Kinect version 2?

Thanks
    Ross

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The first-generation Kinect has a nominal depth map resolution of 640×480 pixels. Its effective resolution is much lower as only a fraction of pixels carry depth measurements at any given moment, due to the way the structured light scanning technology works. The second-generation Kinect has a depth map resolution of 512×424 pixels, but it carries depth measurements on every pixel, based on its time-of-flight scanning technology.

In short, the AR Sandbox’s recommended display resolution of 1024×768 is higher than that of any available depth camera, and also higher than water simulation grid sizes supported by current graphics cards. You can run the AR Sandbox at higher display resolution, but you won’t get more detail in the terrain model or water behavior. The only difference are narrower contour lines.

Ross
    Participant

Thanks Oliver

I failed to recognize data acquisition was from the depth information map and it was a lower resolution than the display Time for some research on the Kinect I think,

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

As good a place to start as any: The Kinect 2.0.

Ross
    Participant

Thanks Oliver Interesting Link.-

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.