VRUI Menu To Small to read

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum VRUI Menu To Small to read

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mitch
    Participant

Hi,
    I have the AR Sandbox working great.
    I had some trouble configuring as the menus are so small, I had to count the number of menu items on the youtube videos in order to select the correct menu items.
    Even at full resolution on a PC screen rather than the projector the font is so small its just a few pixels per letter so impossible to read.
    A screenshot is here: http://pasteboard.co/MxfQQIt.jpg

From my limited knowledge it looks like this is something I would have to configure or recompile VRUI to solve and am hoping someone has an easy fix for it or can point me in the right direction to solve.
    thanks.
    Mitch.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Mitch.

Mitch
    Participant

The link to the image did not show up this is it without the link tag.
    http://pasteboard.co/MxfQQIt.jpg

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The underlying issue is that your monitor/projector thinks it’s very large. Vrui bases everything on real-world measurements (i.e., fonts are configured to be 11pt by default), but if the graphics system misdetects your monitor, things will go astray. Run this from a terminal window:

xdpyinfo | grep dimensions

which will tell you how big the graphics system thinks your screen/projection image is (in mm).

The ideal solution would be to set your display’s size to reality, but requires rooting around in system files. It’s easier either to 1) tell Vrui directly how big your screen is, or 2) exaggerate the font size Vrui uses.

2) is easier: open Vrui.cfg in a text editor:

gedit ~/Vrui-3.1/etc/Vrui.cfg

go to line 58, and adjust the value of uiFontTextHeight to your liking. Once you found your favorite value, set uiSize (in line 52) to half that value, and uiSliderWidth (line 60) to the sum of uiSize and uiFontTextHeight.

1) Open Vrui.cfg as above, and change autoScreenSize in line 146 to false, then go to lines 107 and 109 and set the actual width and height of your screen in inches. Adjust origin in line 105 accordingly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.