Water flow and rain not working very well

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Water flow and rain not working very well

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

noopara
    Participant

I am using an Alienware X51 R2 with i3-4150 3.5ghz and a 1060 graphics card. Water flow and rain is slow to develop and I see a lot of “ran out of time” messages.

Is this problem typically a computer processor problem of might there be a problem with the graphics card? Is an i3-4150 3.5ghz not fast enough to make the calcs?

Thanks!

— greg

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Your graphics card should be fine. Check that you have the correct drivers installed. Run

glxinfo | grep vendor

and check for output similar to the following:

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

noopara
    Participant

Oliver,

Thanks so much for responding. You are a gem. Your dedication to this long standing project is amazing.

I do indeed have the correct driver installed.

I solved the problem by scouring the forum and collecting what I call your kernels of wisdom regarding proper set up and operation of the sandbox.

With the addition of -rer 10 110 to SARndbox’s command line I am now getting excellent rain response by holding my hand with fingers spread (very important).

I added the configuration files that you explain in your “AR Sandbox Post Installation Instructions” which map the 1 and 2 keys for calibrating the projector and for the adding and removing water globally. It works great.

One question I have is related the the height of the hand over the box. If my hand is held low, the software thinks my hand is the surface of the sand and maps it white which obscures the image on the sand. I am guessing that the setting of -rer 10 110 might not be quite correct. What setting should I use so that a hand held over the top won’t be color mapped as snow? Is this a result of the way I calibrated?

I will be showing off our AR Sandbox next weekend at a Washington State Science and Engineering Fair at Bremerton High School in Bremerton Washington. This Sandbox was funded by several STEM grants to the Bremerton Historic Ships Association, aka the USS Turner Joy Naval Ship Museum.

Thanks again for your continued support of this great educational tool.

— greg

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Your hand being handled as terrain is not a part of the rain detector, but part of basic AR Sandbox operation. Any object that is below the maximum elevation (usually defined by the maximum elevation in the color map file) and does not move for the duration of the low-pass stability filter (1s by default) is treated as terrain.

In other words, if you don’t want your hand to be treated as terrain, either hold it above the maximum elevation defined in your color map, or don’t hold it still for one second or more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.