What recommended configuration PC?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum What recommended configuration PC?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  paguy 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dima
    Participant

Hello, I want to make an interactive sandbox, which PC configuration do you recommend to use?

Video card – GeForce GTX 970 or higher
    But what configuration good for today?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Right now the most cost-effective GPU for an AR Sandbox is probably a GeForce 1060. There is also a Turing-generation GeForce 2060, but it appears to still be a lot more expensive.

Dima
    Participant

Thank you. What about GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 1290MHz PCI-E 3.0 2048MB?
    It’s too “slow” card? Maybe I can tune graphics to low level?

paguy
    Participant

You will be fine with contours and topology, but I suspect you will have trouble with the water simulation. The sandbox water is a simulation not a representation i.e. it is calculating the behavior of the water not just showing something that look right’ish. The water simulation is most affected by the number of parallel calculations that can be done and this roughly equates to the number of cores on the graphics hardware the 1030 has 384 cuda cores and will work, but it is likely to go slow when things get busy. You can turn the water off if you don’t want it and get away with a much lower spec of graphics hardware. I run a GTX980Ti (2816 cuda cores) which works well, but you can still see it slow when you get a lot of water. The 980 is an older card (superseded by the 1k (980ti is roughly on a par with 1070) and 2k ranges) so does not have the some of the newer features but gamers’ are now feeling behind the curve so are upgrading so the older cards can be obtained second hand for a sensible price. Obviously second hand has risk associated with it, but it all comes down to budget, risk, value, other uses you have for the card. You can make your own choice about where you sit with balancing these.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.