What will change in 2.0?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum What will change in 2.0?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bbernard 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

smarley
    Participant

Hi all, I’m about to begin constructing one of these great systems, and I was watching the video on Twit.tv where a chap was talking about supporting the Xbox One Kinect in the next version. He mentioned it would have much better resolution, especially in terms of height sensitivity. Does anyone have any information about how this might change the recommended hardware? Does the Xbox One Kinect have the same aspect ratio for example? Field of view? It would be annoying to build a 4:3, 1m x 0.75m box then find I can’t use it with the latest Kinect, or a new projector with a different aspect ratio would be required. I’d like, if possible, to future proof my build, does anyone have any advice in that respect? Thanks all, really looking forward to getting something working 🙂

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

If I can get the Kinect v2 to work reliably, which is a big if as it looks now, the main change — besides higher effective resolution — would be aspect ratio. Kinect v1 has a 4:3 ratio (actually 3.95:3 due to its nominal 632×480 resolution), whereas Kinect v2 has a 4.83:4 ratio, at a resolution of 512×424. In principle, this would be a better fit for a 5:4 projector (1280×1024 resolution), but those are extremely rare or non-existent.

I’m expecting my recommendation for running Kinect v2 will be to still build a 4:3 sandbox and use a 4:3 projector, but have the Kinect overscan the actual box on the top and bottom. Resolution should be good enough that sacrificing 20 pixels on either side won’t matter. The alternative would be to build a 5:4 box and sacrifice some projector resolution by overshooting on the left and right.

bbernard
    Participant

So your guidance for summer 2016 AR sandbox builds (North Dakota State University plans to build 5!) is to use the Kinectv1? When is SARndbox 2.0 expected to release?

Thanks much; excited to share your work with students and faculty in Fargo!

Ben B.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Yes. I have a working driver for Kinect v2, but the Kinect only works on certain computers, primarily based on the exact version of their USB 3.0 host controller chips.

Kinect v1s are dirt cheap, and it should be easy to upgrade from v1 to v2 if desired in the future without changing the sandbox construction much (Kinect-sand distance might have to change).

bbernard
    Participant

Do you have a recommended source for the Kinectv1? That’s the same thing as this Kinect for Xbox 360, right?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.