Will Updating OS Affect Software?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Will Updating OS Affect Software?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eclipsegeo
    Participant

Hi all, can anyone confirm whether updating the operating system version will break the arsandbox softwares (Kinect, SARndbox, Vrui)? In particular, I’m currently on Ubuntu 17.04 which reached its end of life earlier this year (also found out 17.10 just expired) and plan to upgrade to 18.04 LTS. Normally I wouldn’t be hesitant on upgrading but I’ve recently ran into a fickle with my backup which hasn’t been reliable.

Thanks

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Do you use your sandbox computer for anything other than the sandbox? If not, I’d recommend not upgrading the OS. Treat it like an appliance.

That said, an upgrade between major OS versions might require a re-installation of the Vrui, Kinect, and SARndbox packages as some system libraries might change to incompatible versions. I recommend rebuilding all three packages after the upgrade to be safe. Back up your main Vrui.cfg (if changed), your Kinect’s calibration data, your SARndbox’s BoxLayout.txt and ProjectorMatrix.dat, and any custom shaders or scripts you installed.

eclipsegeo
    Participant

Not as of yet but we plan to just for conveniency. The main chokepoint is the fact that I can’t use apt-get to download packages for the software we plan to use; hence the desire to upgrade OS.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.