Would this computer work?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Would this computer work?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tturv5
    Participant

Hi all,
    I have found this computer that is local to me. Could you have a look at the setup and tell me if it would be suitable?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairns/desktops/linux-gaming-pc-i7-870-2-93ghz/1214629100

aaroncouts
    Participant

I wouldn’t get that PC. You can get something more appropriate for cheaper.
    – The i7 processor is great, but I think you’d be better off with a faster i3 or i5. The i7’s advantage is the number of cores, which is great for a desktop where you have a bunch of browser processes running. However (I think) the AR Sandbox software runs a single process, so more cores isn’t going to help. I’ll see if I can test this tonight.
    – It has a graphics card, but the GTX 560ti isn’t going to be able to handle the water simulation, so you’ll need to purchase a new card anyway. You’d be paying for something you can’t use. Used systems without graphics cards are cheaper.
    – The SSD drive is great, but once your system is booted, the AR Sandbox software doesn’t rely on drive speed. Again, you’re paying extra for something you’re not going to use.
    – 8GB RAM is great, but not necessary for the AR Sandbox software. 4GB is plenty, and a lot more common on used systems.

If you’re going to be using it as a general-purpose desktop PC when it’s not running the sandbox, then honestly it’s not bad. It does have a full-size case, which is important — it gives you more options when selecting a GPU. Otherwise I recommend something with less features (4GB RAM, magnetic hard drive, no GPU) and a faster processor.

aaroncouts
    Participant

Confirmed, the SARndbox app runs as a single process, so faster processor with fewer cores is a better buy. That being said, a single process on an i7 might still be faster than a single process on an i3 with the same clock speed.

tturv5
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. The school I work at has given me:
    https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/optiplex-3020-micro-technical-spec-sheet.pdf
    (small form factor) to work with. It has 4gb RAM and am looking at
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/628402/Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX1050Ti-4GB-GDDR5-Low-Profile for the GPU. What are your thoughts on this as a setup?

aaroncouts
    Participant

In terms of speed and memory, that computer is good. Physically, you’re going to run into a couple issues that I purposefully avoided by getting a minitower model instead of small form factor:

– The 1050 Ti LP requires a 300W power supply unit, so you’ll need to upgrade your PSU. The 3020 SFF has a custom-sized PSU, and I doubt Dell offers a more powerful replacement. A standard ATX PSU isn’t going to fit. Carefully measure the PSU that’s in there (you’ll need to remove it regardless). I saw a random post that a “TFF sized” PSU might work. Search the web for “TFX SFF PSU” and you should find some options. Select one with the physical dimensions available, and compare to the size of the existing PSU. If it’s as big or smaller, you should be ok. There’s a reasonable chance that the mounting options won’t be compatible, so you may end up drilling some holes in the case and zip-tying it in there.

Your existing 255W PSU _might_ be able to power the GPU, but you’d be right on the edge. And if your PSU blows, it could take out your GPU, which is a lot more expensive.

– Even a low-profile GPU may not fit. Look up the dimensions of the 1050 Ti LP you’re interested in, and get into the 3020 case with a tape measure and make sure the card isn’t too long. GPUs aren’t perfect rectangles, so it can be a bit tough to see. If it’s going to be tight, you might want to make a model out of cardboard based on the dimensions and pictures online.

If you can find a 1060 3GB that fits, go with that instead of the 1050 Ti.

tlw7409
    Participant

Would this prebuilt one work? I saw this on Amazon today. $700.

Gaming PC RGB Desktop Computer Intel i5-3570 3.40GHz, Ram 16GB,Hard Drive 2TB,Windows 10 Pro Video Card Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB VR Ready Ethernet and WiFi for Serous High End Gaming https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYBLWCH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NEBdDbY5TAQ4M

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.