Xbox Kinect not being found: Our Solution

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Xbox Kinect not being found: Our Solution

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mikesmith32 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ninjaneerstudios
    Participant

Good Afternoon Everyone,

We were getting this MSG when trying to get our Kinect to work (model: 1414):

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
    what(): Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected
    Aborted

The light on the Kinect was blinking sporadically and would go off. The solution that worked for us was to go buy a PCI Express USB 3.0 Card that is also powered from your PSU. The problem is that your normal USB ports and the XBOX Kinect AC Adapter are not enough power. After this, VRui detects the kinect every time. We tried several more kinect’s just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

I will list our setup below:

CPU: i7 Hasswell
    GPU: 970 GTX CeForce Nvidia
    PSU: 750W
    HDD: 120gig SSD
    RAM: 8 gig
    MB: Asus Sabertooth z87 Motherboard
    OS: Linux Mint with Mate (with all updates) I believe the new one is 17.2 codename Rafaela
    USB 3.0 PCI Express Cars that can also be powered by the PSU
    Xbox Kinect: Model# 1414

Joe R
    Director
    Ninjaneer Studios

Quix
    Participant

Thank you! I’ve been having the exact same problem and I’ve been trying to solve it for a month.

Which PCI Express USB 3.0 Card are you using?

How many mA does the Kinect need? Will this solve my problem? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LogiLink-Port-USB-PCI-Express-Card/dp/B005GUQV1Q ?

ninjaneerstudios
    Participant

Hey Quix,

The card we bought is this one Insignia PCI Express USB 3.0 Card

Here is the link to copy and paste if the one above doesn’t work ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-interface-card-silver/5621006.p?id=1219144863553&skuId=5621006 ). We got it from Best Buy. If you look at the picture of the card, at the back of the card you’ll see where the power connector will plug in. It’s the same type of power plug that is/was used for the old floppy drives. The power connector should come in the box.

If you’re getting the same error msg as above, this should fix your issue. The green light on the front needs to be a constant, steady, green blinking light not a sporadic one that comes and goes. When we would type in the command to locate all connected USB devices, it would find only the Kinect motor, then motor and camera, then none and kept doing this until we installed this card. We had it running for more than 10min to make sure it didn’t drop out.

I think it needs 700mA or more, but don’t quote me.

Hope this helps, it did for us.

JSR

ninjaneerstudios
    Participant

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I have been using this no-name PCI express 2-port USB 3.0 card (USD 11.30) to reliably run two Kinects at the same time. The most important thing to watch out for is that the card uses the NEC 720200 chip, which is the best-supported USB 3.0 controller in the Linux kernel.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Did you originally connect your Kinect to a USB 3.0 port or to a USB 2.0 port? If it was USB 3.0, please check whether the USB controller on your motherboard is a NEC 720200, or something else. If it is something else, that might be the cause of your problems. The Kinect’s power draw is well within the specifications for USB 2.0, so that should not have been the issue.

You can check by running

$ lspci | grep "USB 3.0"

from a terminal, and looking for “NEC” or “Renesas” (different name for same chip), models “uDP720200” or “uDP720200” (or similar).

ninjaneerstudios
    Participant

Thanks Oliver, I will look back into this and post my findings.

JSR

ninjaneerstudios
    Participant

We actually tried every 2.0 and 3.0 USB port on the motherboard but always got the same results until we installed that PCI Express Card.

JSR

mikesmith32
    Participant

Hello, (I am reposting this on many forums sorry If you have seen it already)

I am using the adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S7GA46/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JVI6BVY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WRV754BKA4K863SC3R7) and I have concluded that it is not providing enough power to my Kinect. The green light on the Kinect is blinking sporadically and I get random outputs of the motor, audio, and camera when using the “lsusb” command.

I understand the solution of using a USB 3.0 PCI Express Card but for mobility I’m using the Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case. It supports only Mini ITX motherboard which have only one PCI-E X16 slot. My graphics card takes up the only slot and I cannot afford to purchase a new case and motherboard, so I need a different solution.

Is there any way I can get more power to the Kinect through the Power Supply AC Cable Adapter? Could I possibly rewire or modify the circuitry to provide more power? I am open to any ideas or solutions you guys can think of.

Power Supply – CS450M
    Graphics Card – GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    CPU – Intel Pentium G3258 LGA1150 socket
    Motherboard – ASrock H81M-ITX
    Kinect Model – 1414

Thank you for the help,
    Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.